The Honors Peer Mentor program is intended to facilitate new students' transition to the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and the University Honors Program. Each peer mentor group is comprised of about 8-9 new students led by an upperclass peer mentor. These groups attend special events and meet throughout the first semester to discuss Honors Program requirements, how to become involved on campus, academic success strategies such as study habits, etc. In addition, each new student "mentee" will attend enritchment activities that align with their specific interests and goals within the larger University of Nebraska-Lincoln community.
Peer Mentor Leaders comprise the student leadership team for the Peer Mentor program. Responsibilities include:
- weekly group meetings with the Peer Mentor faculty advisor during the academic year
- assisting with Peer Mentor events, including the Honors First-Year Orientation Breakfast and Welcome activities
- serving on a committee related to the Peer Mentor Program
- helping revise and update the Peer Mentor Program curriculum for next year and participating in training sessions of peer mentors
- supervising, maintaining weekly correspondence with, and evaluating assigned Peer Mentors
- Attend (and lead) weekly lecture sessions with mentors and new student mentees for 101H in the fall semster (2 sections)
- Serve as a Learning Assistant for the UHON 102H in the spring semester (2 sections) and participate in training meetings once every 2 weeks for the 102H during the spring term
Compensation: The Peer Mentor Leader role is paid for the work of being a Learning Assistant in the spring 102H and fall 101H courses. The pay is $10/hour and averages 5 hr/week during the spring and fall semesters.
Application Process: All applicants must be in good standing in the University Honors Program and must have served one year as a peer mentor, OR have taken UHON 102H as an Honors on Campus student (meaning you joined the Honors Program after one or more semesters of college). If you are unsure of your standing, please contact the Honors Office (email@example.com) or 402-472-5425 to schedule an appointment with an Honors advisor, or you may schedule an appointment via MyPlan.
Applications for returning and new peer mentors will be available in the spring.
Due Dates & Timeline:
- Applications for Peer Mentor Leaders are due by 11:59 pm (central) on Saturday, October 11, 2020.
- Interviews for Peer Mentor Leaders will be held the week of October 24-28, 2020.
For questions, please contact your current Peer Mentor Leader.
Peer Mentor Leaders may also earn Honors Experience Credit (equivalent to 3 Honors hours) for their work both fall and spring semesters.
TO APPLY, YOU MUST FIRST LOG IN AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE
(click "Login" to the left of the search box above)