The Honors Peer Mentor program is intended to facilitate new students' transition to the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and the University Honors Program. Each peer mentor group is comprised of about 12-15 new students led by an upperclass peer mentor. These groups attend special events and meet throughout the first semester to discuss Honors Program requirements, how to become involved on campus, academic success strategies such as study habits, etc. In addition, each new student "mentee" will attend enritchment activities that align with their specific interests and goals within the larger University of Nebraska-Lincoln community.
Peer Mentor Leaders comprise the student leadership team for the Peer Mentor program. Responsibilities include:
- weekly group meetings with the Peer Mentor faculty advisor during the academic year
- assisting with Peer Mentor program events, including Research Nights in the spring and the Honors First-Year Welcome Celebration and the Who's Who in the fall
- serving on one of three committees related to the Peer Mentor Program (curriculum, events, or selections)
- helping revise and update the Peer Mentor Program curriculum for next year and participating in training sessions of peer mentors
- supervising, maintaining weekly correspondence with, and evaluating assigned Peer Mentors
- Attend (and lead) weekly lecture sessions with mentors and new student mentees
Application Process: All applicants must be in good standing in the University Honors Program and must have served one year as a peer mentor. If you are unsure of your standing, please contact the Honors Office (email@example.com) or 402-472-5425 to schedule an appointment with an Honors advisor, or you may schedule an appointment via MyPlan.
Applications for returning and new peer mentors will be available in the spring.
Due Dates & Timeline:
- Applications for Peer Mentor Leaders are due by 11:59 pm (central) on Sunday, October 28, 2018.
- Interviews for Peer Mentor Leaders will be held the week of November 5-9, 2018.
For questions, please contact your current Peer Mentor Leader.
Peer Mentor Leaders may earn Honors Experience Credit (equivalent to 3 Honors hours) for their work.
TO APPLY, YOU MUST FIRST LOG IN AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE
(click "Login" to the left of the search box above)