The Honors Peer Mentor program is intended to facilitate new students' transition into the University Honors Program. Each selected peer mentor will lead a group of incoming first-year students through a 13-week program consisting of small-group meetings, large-group sessions, one-on-one mentoring, and mentor-designed and led enrichment activities (Honors Impacts). The curriculum will focus on Honors Program requirements, how to become involved on campus, and academic success strategies, and is intended to foster an interactive and involved experience, benefitting mentees and mentors alike. An additional program overview will also be given during the interview process (first two weeks of March).
Position Description: Students interested in serving as a Peer Mentor must be able to commit roughly 3 hours each week to the program during the fall semester, as well as be able to attend several mandatory training sessions during the spring and fall semesters (dates will be available at time of interviews). Primary responsibilities of a peer mentor include:
- Attending large-group meetings with mentees
- Facilitating small-group discussions
- Helping new students successfully transition to the Honors Program
- Conducting individual mentee meetings
- Planning and leading Honors Impact enrichment activities
- Maintaining regular communication with the Peer Mentor Leaders
- Weekly availability during a designated Peer Mentor meeting time
Peer Mentors will earn 3 Honors hours through Honors Experience (zero credit class that substitutes for 3 Honors hours).
Application Process & Qualifications: All applicants must be in good standing in the Honors Program to be considered for the position of Peer Mentor. If you are unsure of your standing, please schedule an appointment with an Honors advisor through MyPlan.
This application is for all new peer mentor applicants. If you have served as a peer mentor in the past, contact Morgan Gurwell.
Due Dates & Timeline:
- Applications are due by 11:59 pm (central) on Friday, March 5, 2021.
- Interviews will be held in early March 2021.
Current Honors Peer Mentor Leaders will host 2 info sessions with resume labs to help you learn more about applying!