Nebraska Honors, now in its third decade, enhances your college experience by providing a challenging and creative academic program for the most talented and highly-motivated students in Nebraska and across the nation. The program encompasses a comprehensive college experience, both in the classroom and in the larger campus community.
The benefits include:
- Learn in smaller class sizes
- Participate in seminars on special topics offered only to Honors students
- Customize your education through Honors course contracts and your Honors Thesis/Senior Project
- Connect with research opportunities.
- Build relationships with faculty members who are top teachers and researchers, as early as your first semester in college
- Belong to a community of students who are highly motivated and enjoy intellectual challenges
- Develop leadership skills through Honors student organizations
- Earn Honors credit for Education Abroad, Internship, Off-Campus Research, and Civic Engagement experiences
- Enjoy the opportunity to live in Honors housing
Hear What Current Honors Students Say:
How to Apply
Prospective freshmen students must apply to the University prior to accessing the Honors Program application. The Honors Program application (which includes the applications for the College of Business Honors Academy and the Raikes School) can be accessed in MyRED once the student has submitted the UNL university application. We encourage students to apply by the Early Notification Deadline.
Applications from current, on-campus UNL students and students transferring to UNL from another school are reviewed at the end of the semester in which they are submitted to allow receipt of the most recent grades. On-Campus and Transfer applicants must have a minimum 3.50 college GPA.
All Honors Program students, including transfer students and those who apply after arriving on campus, are expected to complete 24 hours of Honors credit and a research-based thesis or creative project in order to graduate from the Honors Program. As a result, students are encouraged to apply as early as possible, and should typically allow at least two years to complete the program requirements prior to graduation.
|For first-year students||Application received by||Notification by|
|Early notification deadline||November 2||January 15|
|Honors Application deadline||February 15||March 25|
Applications are accepted and students may be admitted on a space-available basis, February 16-July 15.
|For Transfer or Current UNL students||Application received by||Notification by|
|Fall Applicants||December 1||January 10|
|Spring Applicants||May 1||June 10|
Neihardt Hall is home to the University Honors Program. The Honors Program Office is on the first floor in Neihardt 118. Students are invited to request Neihardt housing but there is no obligation to do so. Honors Program students live in a variety of residence halls and in Greek houses. All honors students, regardless of where they live, have access to Neihardt. Our students often find that they spend much of their free time in Neihardt, because of the building’s quiet study rooms, common spaces and great Honors Program community.