The Honors Program Peer Mentor program is intended to facilitate new students' transition into the University of Nebraska and the Honors Program. Each peer mentor group is comprised of about six to eight new students led by an upperclass peer mentor. These groups attend special events and meet once a week during the first half of the first semester to discuss Honors Program requirements, how to become involved on campus, academic success strategies such as study habits, etc.
- Peer Mentor Leaders comprise the student leadership team for the Peer Mentor prgram. Responsibilities include biweekly group meetings with an Honors administrator during the Academic Year and training, weekly correspondence with, and evaluation of assigned Peer Mentors. For questions, current Peer Mentors may contact their current Peer Mentor Leader. Peer Mentor Leaders may earn 1-2 Honors hour.
- Returning Peer Mentor responsibilities include commiting about 2 hours/week in the first half of the fall semester, as well as be able to attend mandatory training sessions during the previous spring semester. Primary responsibilities include facilitating small group discussions, helping new students successfully transition to college, and regular communication with an assigned Peer Mentor Leader.
Application Process: All applicants must be in good standing in the Honors Program to be considered for the positions of Peer Mentor Leader or Peer Mentor. If you are unsure of your standing, please contact the Honors Office (firstname.lastname@example.org) or 402-472-5425 to schedule an appointment with an Honors administrator.
Use this application if you have already served at least one year as a Peer Mentor and you wish to apply to become a Peer Mentor Leader (the student leadership team for the Peer Mentor program) or to return as a Peer Mentor. If you wish to apply to become a new Peer Mentor, please use the New Peer Mentor application.
Due Dates & Timeline:
- Applications for both Peer Mentor Leaders and returning Peer Mentors are due by 11:59 pm (central) on Thursday, October 20, 2016.
- Interviews for Peer Mentor Leaders will be held Sunday, October 23, 2016.
- Returning Peer Mentor applicants will receive notice of their status by Nov. 1, 2016.
SUBMISSIONS ARE NOW CLOSED