Honors Program Requirements
Note: Consistent with the philosophy of UNL and the Honors Program, it is your responsibility to know and understand all requirements and deadlines of the Honors Program. Ask questions if you are confused or unclear about anything.
A. Full time student - at least 12 credit hours each semester (Fall and Spring)
B. Cumulative GPA: 3.5
C. A minimum of 24 credit hours in Honors courses must be completed with a grade of B or better prior to graduation. These hours must include 189H or 298H in the first semester, 395H, and completion of a thesis. A B- grade in an Honors class will earn academic credit but will not satisfy Honors Program course requirements.
D. Complete the above hours in the following sequence:
- Complete at least 6 honors credit hours with a grade of B or better including 189H or 298H. A student must complete the required 189H or 298H class in the first semester (three credit hours) and at least one other Honors class for a minimum of three more Honors credit hours in this academic year (for example English 150H or Math 107H).
- Complete the 98H Peer Mentor Program
- Complete at least 6 honors credit hours with a grade of B or better AND a total of at least 15 Honors hours by the end of the 4th semester.
Note** A student must complete at least 6 Honors hours this year, regardless of the number of Honors hours completed in the first year. For instance, if a student took two Honors Math classes in addition to the 189H class in the first year, s/he may have accumulated 12 Honors hours coming into the second year. Regardless of those hours, s/he must complete at least 6 Honors hours in the second year.
- File the Statement of Academic Interest prior to completing the 4th semester.
Third and Fourth Years:
- Complete a total of at least 9 honors credit hours with a grade of B or better in the junior and senior years, including UHON 395H and the thesis hours.
- Complete at least 3 honors credit hours with a grade of B or better EACH YEAR (Fall or Spring), regardless of the number of credit hours accumulated.
- File a Thesis/Creative Project Prospectus (research prospectus) prior to completing the 6th semester.
- Complete an honors research or creative project (e.g. thesis) by the end of the intended semester of graduation.
Note** Completion of an honors research or creative project (e.g. thesis); up to 6 hours count toward program requirements. Study Abroad experiences may count towards honors designated hours. (You must visit with the Honors Academic Advisor for this option.)
These requirements will be in effect for all of your undergraduate studies in the Honors Program. If you have questions about the requirements listed, please call the Honors Office at 402-472-5425 or schedule an appointment with the Honors Academic Advisor for clarification.